Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Ladies who Lunch

Today I have the privilege of lunching with my dear friend Millie who resides at the Clover Blossom Legacy in Brighton. This is one of the very best parts of being a pastoral associate at St. Joe’s – developing relationships with the senior members of the community and sharing in the special moments of their lives, and they in mine.

Millie has been an active parishioner of St. Joseph’s for decades. She and her late husband John met in the choir at St. Francis in downtown Rochester and were dedicated to many community organizations throughout the years of their long marriage, including activities and ministries at St. Joe’s—The 60+ Club and St. Joseph’s table celebrations each year;  John was a remarkable lector, Millie knits prayer shawls.

I treasure my special connections with Millie. She has welcomed me into her home in times of joy and sorrow, including praying with her family in John’s final days and the planning of his funeral; and the more recent loss of their beloved son-in-law, Ronnie, husband of her daughter, Marianne.

Millie also is part of my family – she was a wonderful friend to my daughter Laura when she interned at the Legacy. Laura was there to help organize activities for the residents with her co-worker Indira, who became her good friend. I look forward today to sharing pictures with Millie of Indira’s recent wedding to Ben. I know she’ll delight in Indira’s happiness and seeing Indira in her wedding gown and Laura as her maid of honor.

Yes, this is one of the very best parts of my ministry – what it’s all about really. Having time with people, one-on-one, for conversation, prayer, and a shared meal. It’s a lot different than the concept of “ladies who lunch” that I knew when I worked in Manhattan 20 years ago; I’ve been graced with the better part.

Relationship.

Prayer.

Love.

Who are the very special people in your life? Share your story.

Blessings!






No comments:

Post a Comment